Benchmarking Visit & Sharing Session on Campus and School's
Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) Best Practices:
Green Educators' Workgroup - GREW (Persatuan Pendidik Lestari Hijau Pulau Pinang) Delegation to Universiti Malaya
Hosted by UM Sustainability and Development Centre (UMSDC) and Rimba ilmu
in partnership with the Department of Development and Estate Maintenance (JPPHB)
10 June 2022 (Friday) 9:00 am - 12:30 pm @ Rimba Ilmu, Eco-Surau APIUM, & UM Zero Waste Campaign (UM ZWC)
Humanity is living in a world increasingly complex and uncertain. In December 2002, the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005-2014) was established by the United Nations General Assembly through its resolution.
Moving forward, in 2012, UNESCO received the mandate to elaborate a Plan to emphasize the role of education in promoting sustainability. It was followed by the launch of the Global Action Programme on ESD (GAP) in 2014 with its five priority areas of action:
1) Advancing policy
2) Transforming learning and training programs
3) Building the capacity of educators and trainers
4) Empowering and mobilizing youth
5) Accelerating sustainable solutions at the local level
Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) empowers educators and learners to make informed decisions and responsible actions for environmental integrity, economic viability, and just society for present and future generations while respecting cultural diversity, such as in Malaysia's case.
As a follow-up collaboration between the Green Educators' Workgroup of Penang and UM Sustainability and Development Centre (UMSDC), a benchmarking visit and sharing session on campus and the school's ESD best practices was held as a half-day program on UM campus.
A group of 25 members of GREW (educators, headmasters, and students) participated in this inaugural visit:
1) Rimba Ilmu - sharing session on Rimba Ilmu (biodiversity initiative) by Dr. Yong Kien Thai
2) UM Campus Sustainability Journey by AP Dr. Zeeda Fatimah Mohamad & Mr. Mohd Fadhli Rahmat Fakri (UMSDC)
3) Water Warriors (water management initiative) by Mr. Affan Nasaruddin
4) Eco-Surau APIUM (green mosque initiative) by Mr. Affan Nasaruddin
5) UM Zero Waste Campaign (waste management initiative) by Mrs. Mairuz Asmarafariza Azlan & Mr. Hisyamuddin Che Harun
The visit concluded with an exchange of tokens of appreciation from both parties. GREW is looking forward to hosting UM team's visit to Penang green schools. This activity supports the aspiration of the Regional Centre of Expertise on ESD (RCE Central Semenanjung) and UM Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UMSDSN) - under the purview of UMSDC. Special thanks to Mr. Khou Jerome (Chairperson, GREW) and Mr. Ong Soon Yeong (Program Coordinator, GREW).
UNESCO and ESD: https://www.unesco.org/en/education/sustainable-development
'Inspire, Be Inspired'
#universitimalaya #greenschool #greencampus #servingthenation #impactingtheworld #umsustainability #sdg #esd #educationforsustainabledevelopment #grew #inspirebeinspired